Friday 26 February 2016

Diploma Module 1 Chapter 4 - Shape and Pattern Study

Linear Outline - Referring to my sketchbooks and 'heap' I drew different shapes in outline (Images 90, 91 and 92).




These I drew on top of one another as it made me really concentrate on the outside edge of each one as I worked on it.  One shape in particular appealed to me, which I traced, and from this made a cardboard template and both a cardboard and polystyrene print block (Co-op still use this as a base for their pizzas, luckily).

Initially, I made a simple outline drawing of the shape which I filled with textured coatings of acrylic wax. This I gave a wash of blue-black Quink Ink (Image 93).


Using shapes cut from newspaper I started the design exploration.  The newspaper would absorb the colouring mediums used in a different manner to the sketchbook paper and give additional interest to my design, both from this characteristic and the random print/illustrations on the page.

Image 94 - diagonal linear pattern plus Koh-i-noor dyes.


Image 95 - diamond plus Koh-i-noor dyes.  This used the negative shape from the newspaper and I thought the figure that randomly appeared added to the design...in a good way.


Image 96 - circles and Inktense pencils.  Shape lost.  Could try again with better counterchange.  I lost it round the tail.


Image 97 - wavy lines, Koh-i-noor dyes and white vinyl acrylic.  Well, we all have mistakes!, though the acrylic markings on acrylic base on the shape were effective.






No comments:

Post a Comment