Friday 26 February 2016

Diploma Module 1 Chapter 3 - Texture and Surface Relief Study...continued

Continuing with feathers, I took an image of a gull taken at Exeter Quay and enlarged a small area. After converting this to black and white, I posterised the enlargement to highlight the feather structure. Using cut raffia painted white with acrylic, I replicated the layered structure of the feathers (Image 87).


Observing feathers, as they overlay, they have a woven texture.  To obtain this effect, using wrapping ribbon as the warp and
firstly, the white paper handle (separated and split) from a paper carrier bag, and
secondly, the same ribbon
for the weft, I wove the two materials (Image 88).


One last sample, in my haste to open a parcel containing Art Textiles of the World: Great Britain, the outer brown paper, from the corrugated paper wrapping it, peeled off. After some selective peeling, scoring with a scalpel and a coat of vinyl emulsion I obtained Image 89, which seemed rather wing-like.  I was taken by its naivety.



No comments:

Post a Comment