Thursday 30 November 2017

A Little Interlude

This section is an extension of Chapter 5 but using different techniques to produce a series of monoprints in a Seawhites 11cmWx15.5cmH sketchbook.

My daughter and I had a wonderful day recently at a workshop with  Jennifer Collier making Story Book Dresses.  During the day Jennifer used the belle point de venise cinq point stitch but I hadn't had time to try it. Cutting out different diameter circles from the sketchbook pages I used the stitch (only managing trois points due to the size of the circles).  From this I went on to try other edging stitches I hadn't used for some time including looped, braid, Antwerp, Armenian, blanket, chevron blanket and tailor's. Where pages had been split I used buttonhole and knotted insertion stitches to reunite them.

Using an 18x11cm home-made gelli plate and three colours, Inscribe pure gold/Daler Rowney acrylic gold, Golden Open Phthalo Blue and Reeves Yellow Ocre I made prints using portions of the print block from the Chapter 5 (MM84), the stitched pages/edges and the circles cut from the sketchbook.  Lens tissue, and book binding material were also printed and the tissue in particular used to layer over other prints.  The following are some of the pages from the sketchbook in no particular order.











G5 is the first layer.  G6 is G5 layered with lens tissue.




































Some of these results are very promising.  I particularly like the way you can push the stitched pages into the gelli plate and produce such interesting prints and ghost prints (G10/11).

No comments:

Post a Comment