Friday 6 October 2017

Diploma Module 2 - Chapter 3 - Underside Couching Machine Methods

This was my first attempt at using machine cable stitch to make patterned surfaces simulating underside couching. I filled a bobbin with #8 Finca perlĂ© and loaded it in the bobbin case. Having the luxury of two bobbin cases for my Bernina, I turned the tension screw until the perlĂ© flowed freely (1.75 turns).  I started with a few warming-up samples altering the stitch lengths, types and varying the starting point of the first stitch, noting the machine settings on the samples for future reference (MM52-57).







Then, using one of my gull designs I made a linear sample, reducing the stitch length for the gulls (MM58-59).



Using the same design and free machine stitching (MM60-61).



Reverting to the gull design used in the handstitched underside couching (MM47) and a similar background, I machine cabled a sample using DMC Fil Or in the bobbin and Dewhursts Lt Cream 40 (D16) on the top. The length of the stitch was varied between 3 (background) and 1 (gull).

MM 62 - front - the gull appears very golden as the acrylic used to paint the canvas is showing through the machine stitching.


MM63 - back


MM64 - enlargement of back


MM51 - enlargement of back of handstitched underside couching


Comparing the machine stitching using cable stitch to give a representation of underside couching versus handstitching, it is undoubtedly quicker to work but to me there is no comparison as the character that can be produced with handstitching is missing and the result is altogether flat and lacking in vibrancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment