Friday 8 January 2016

Diploma Module 1 Chapter 3 - Texture and Surface Relief Study

Happy 2016!

Alongside creating A5 Sketchbook pages, I have also been using a 14cm square sketchbook for the 10 Day Drawing Course exercises.  I started using a  Schleich seagull http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schleich-14720-Seagull/dp/B00GVT5OI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452252972&sr=8-1&keywords=toy+gull+plastic  which had the added advantage that it was textured so I was able to take rubbings (Image 28), though due to its size this was quite a challenge. Three-year olds obviously have smaller fingers!


For the texture and surface relief study I’ll include pages from both sketchbooks. As the content of some of the pages I was creating for Chapter 2 seemed to be overlapping with work on this chapter I’ve included them here.

I started to pursue methods of obtaining a feathered effect and returned to Images 22 and 23 where I had done some sample stitching on a cardboard cutout monoprint.  I made three stitch print ‘blocks’ – raised chain band, raised stem stitch and feather stitch – from which I made prints on different surfaces, overprinting to try to obtain a usable effect (please excuse the ones that aren’t on black and white paper as they were made before I read the instructions for chapter three).

Raised Chain Band (Images 29 - 36)










Raised Stem Stitch (Images 37 – 41)






Feather Stitch (Images 42 – 47)








Not surprisingly I felt the feather stitch prints were the most successful!

I took rubbings from the Schleich seagull, either on tissue or layout paper, to pick up the fine textural markings.  After taking the rubbings I laminated them on to sketchbook pages with dilute PVA.  Some of the results were very promising.


Image 48 - 2B rubbing on tissue paper.



Image 49 -  wax rubbing on layout paper.



Image 50 shows Image 49 after it has been washed with dilute Quink ink and then discharged with dilute bleach.

From the above three images I went on to produce Image 51 which is a distressed muslin highlighted with Inktense pencils.

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting project Kay! I particularly love your distressed muslin with the inktense pencils. I'm looking forward to seeing how your work on this module progresses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. It was one of those happy accidents!

      Delete